Congratulations on the start of your orthodontic treatment. Here are some guidelines that we recommend you follow while you continue your Invisalign treatment:
- Each aligner is to be worn 22 hrs per day. We will instruct you on how many days you will be in each aligner. If you haven’t been able to make 22 hrs/day in the instructed time, you can extend wearing the aligner a day or two longer. Before you switch to the next aligner, make sure the aligner is fully seated (no air space between the aligner and your teeth) and can be placed without any pressure.
- Most of the movement occurs in the first 48 hrs of wear. Insert your next aligner in the evening after your last meal to allow it to stay in the mouth for a longer period of time.
- Sometimes when you first insert your aligner, they may not feel like they fit right. Use the chewies to help engage aligners and they should fit better as you continue with wear.
- You can eat light snacks while wearing your aligners but want to keep in mind that foods with staining properties may discolour the aligners.
- Use a hard bristle tooth brush to clean the aligner with cold water and hand soap. Avoid using tooth paste or baking soda as they can be abrasive and scratch the aligners.
- If your aligner has a rough edge you can use an emery board or nail file to smooth the surface. We will provide you with orthodontic wax to use if aligners are irritating inside of lips or tongue. If you are unable to smooth the aligner, please contact our office and we will be happy to smooth it for you.
- Like all orthodontic treatment, the aligners may temporarily affect your speech. You may have a lisp for the first week or so. Once your tongue gets used to having the aligners in your mouth any lisp or minor speech impediment should disappear.
- Check the attachments on your teeth every day to ensure that they are all present. If one is lost or broken call the office and we will schedule an appointment to replace it.
- We recommend that you keep your old aligners by storing them in the numbered package they came in.
- If the aligner breaks while in the 2 week period, try in the next aligner. If the next aligner is wearable, continue with that aligner for a full 2 weeks. If it is not wearable comfortably please contact the office.
- If you have been instructed to wear elastics during your orthodontic treatment, please wear as prescribed to achieve the full results. If not compliant, you may prolong your treatment length.
We will be happy to arrange a Free Consultation for you in order to get all the information you need to know