Eating foods that cannot be easily removed from your braces can cause permanent discoloration and decay. Hard and sticky foods can damage brackets and wires or can loosen the cement that is holding your bands in place, which may make your treatment longer.
May setback your treatment time because they can damage the wires or loosen your brackets or bands.
Rip or Cut foods into smaller pieces before eating, chew with your back teeth & try not to bite into any food.
- Apples or Carrots (unless cooked or cut into small pieces)
- Corn on the Cob (unless cut off of the cob)
- Ribs/Wings (cut meat off)
- Hard Pretzels
- Hard Candy (lollipops, Jolly Ranchers)
- Ice Cubes
- Tortilla Chips/Hard Tacos/Nachos
- Pizza Crusts
May setback treatment time because they can bend the wires or damage the cement bonds holding the bands in place. They are also difficult to remove with brushing.
- Caramel Apples
- Sugar Babies
- Tootsie Rolls
- Gummy Bears
Foods High in Sugar
May cause permanent staining and decay of your teeth. You should brush your teeth as soon as possible after eating any of these foods.
- Ice Cream
- Soft Drinks
We are concerned about your oral hygiene
After reviewing brushing and flossing instructions at your Visits, we continue to see the need for improvement. Plaque left on the teeth after brushing leads to bad breath, swollen gums, tooth decay and decalcification (white scars on surface of teeth that are permanent). Keeping your teeth and braces clean takes some time – the benefit is that your treatment will go quicker – cleaner teeth move faster!!
A few reminders:
- Brush more thoroughly and more often ( apply firm pressure so that the gums are massaged up and away from the braces )
- Floss regularly.
- Always brush after eating, so make sure you have supplies with you (i.e. at school, in backpack or purse).
- Use a disclosing agent such as Agent Cool Blue to stain plaque for easier identification ( this can be found in most stores in the tooth brush aisle )
- LIFT the Lip and have a good look to make sure all of the fuzzy plaque is gone!
Should we continue to see poor oral hygiene, we will need to have you come in for periodic hygiene checks booked separately from your regular adjustment appointments.
Thank you for your understanding in this matter. Please call us at 905-737-6868 if you have any questions about proper oral hygiene.
We will be happy to arrange a Free Consultation for you in order to get all the information you need to know